One of our most popular states for energy reports is Florida. This is no doubt because of the Florida Energy Code. It could also have something to do with the fact that Florida is the 4th largest state in the United States. Then couple that with the fact that Florida stands to save almost 3/4 of billion dollars on energy every year by 2030. It is easy to see why the Florida Energy Code has quickly taken hold. Architects, engineers, builders, and homeowners call us every day wanting know specifics on the Florida Energy Code in regards to REScheck so today we will take the time to address the Florida Energy Code in depth.
Some of the key things you might see in Florida that you will not see in other states.
- Common walls, ceilings, party walls, and adjoining walls must be insulated with an R-11 and this is an actual item on the checklist.
- Duct sealing on the HVAC system must be to commercial standards
- An Energy Performance Certificate is required (EPL)
- Swimming Pools and Spas have specific language and treatment within REScheck
- Air handling units can no longer be stored in attic unless they meet certain exemptions
- Minimum ceiling R-values
All these items can differ significantly from what you would see on a REScheck or energy audit in Texas, New York, or California. However, each item for Florida’s state specific code takes into account their unique climate situation. As a highly populated peninsula surrounded by the Gulf of Mexico and the Atlantic Ocean, the average daily temperatures present themselves in a fashion that a state specific code was required. That was why the Florida Energy Code was created.
Now, more than ever, if you are planning to build in Florida it is important to understand the energy requirements of your alteration, addition, or new home construction. Whether you are building a retirement home, vacation home, or rental unit the Florida Energy Code will allow you to build the most efficient home possible in the great state of Florida. If you have questions about the Florida Energy code and how it differs from a traditional REScheck feel free to contact us or send us your plan.
Custom REScheck Report
- Any Plan
- Any Size
- Any Code
- 24 hour turnaround or it’s free.